Wednesday, October 12, 2005

10/07/05 - Potawatomi Trail, Pinckney Michigan

Since we were on our way to Boyne Mountain Resort for a race on Sunday, me and my cousin decided to stop along the way at Pinckney Rec Area and ride the infamous Potawatomi Trail. This was my first trip back to "the Poto" in close to 10 years. Awesome is about the only word that describes this place. Where I live in Ohio, we just don't get to ride trails like this.


Poto has a little bit of everything... technical climbs, fast dowhills, and lots of sweet singletrack. One thing I did notice on this trip is how well the trail is marked. On my last trip to the Poto, I got lost a few times and had to backtrack. I had a map to go by, but the trail wasn't marked very well. This has all changed. Many of the intersections along the the trail now have signs that are numbered and each one has a map posted so you know just where you are. I wish every mountain bike trail was marked this way. The MMBA has done a great job of maintaining and improving this trail.


In addition to the 17 mile Potawatomi Trail, you can also do the 5.1-mile Crooked Lake Trail and the 1.9-mile Silver Lake Trail. All three of these trails are accessible from the same parking area.

1 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I cross country skied here before there were mountain bikes, in the 70's it was rated in the top 10 XC trails in North America, 1986 I got my first mountian, no suspension and no shifting up hills at all, it was great, now I'm 64 and riding a full suspension bike, trail is still the best around, still hard, fast, fun, everyone should have one in there back yard, two thumbs up cuz'' thats all I have is two..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home