Thursday, December 21, 2006

12/20/2006 - Shopping for a cyclocross bike (pt 2)

So I'm really getting into these research on cyclocross bikes. Today I decided to look around and see what bikes are available with a STEEL frame. My Ibis Mojo is steel and I really love the feel of that frame. I figure a steel cyclocross frame will be a little heavier than one made of aluminum, but it will probably ride much better. So, this is what I've found...

I remember looking at a LeMond Poprad (shown above) last year at one of my LBS's. These are priced at around $1600, which is a bit higher than what I've been looking at so far. The Poprad has a True Temper OX Platinum (steel) frame, Bontrager Switchblade Elite Carbon fork, and a Shimano 105 drivetrain. In 2006 they offered the bike with both canti brakes AND Avid mechanical discs...but this year they are only offering it with discs. I'm not sure why they did this, but for me this is the biggest drawback on the bike. I have Avid Mechanicals on my Ibis, and love them, but on a cyclocross bike I think they are a bit overkill and add unecessary weight to the bike. Other than that though, this is a very sweet bike... love the red/white paint scheme and the specs on the bike are top notch with all Shimano 105 stuff. I will definitely keep this bike in mind.

Another steel bike I came across is the Jamis Nova (shown above). This bike has a Reynolds 631 air-hardened chromoly frame, carbon fiber fork, and Shimano 105 drivetrain. The bike retails for around $1275 so its VERY well equipped for the price. I can't really find any drawbacks to this bike and its probably the best bang-for-the-buck bike I've found so far. Only problem is that I can't find one locally, so if I were to go with this one, I'd be taking a bit of a chance that I'd like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home